What I Believe and What I Do
Small businesses should not run by the seat of the owner's pants. The role of a business's bookkeeping system should emphasize making good business decisions rather than getting the taxes done. Business owners should not have to ask why they owe taxes when they have no money. I offer my clients the tools and technology they need so they can use accurate, up-to-date, and relevant information to make good business decisions, maximize profits, and optimize taxes. While tax preparation and other compliance considerations provide a foundation, the goal is to provide close professional service to business owners in the planning and implementation of economic decisions that affect their businesses.
Established in June 2006, my practice focuses on the accounting and tax needs of small businesses and their owners in the Richmond Metro area. My clients receive personalized, quality, and timely service from me. Compliance services include:
- Compiled or reviewed financial statements
- After-the fact bookkeeping ("write-up")
- Federal and state income tax return preparation
- Quarterly and annual payroll tax returns
- Monthly state and local sales tax return preparation
- Annual local business license applications and personal property tax preparation
Other features of my practice include:
- Payroll processing at competitive prices through a third-party provider I trust
- Full-featured, online accounting software
- Reduced paper
- Online access to tax returns and other financial documents 24/7
- Secure, online file exchange
- Prompt return of phone calls and e-mails
- Answers to your questions in words you can understand
- Help in knowing and understanding "your numbers"
Dawn is a long-time Richmonder, calling it home for over 40 years. She received her Associate's degree from J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College in 1983 and went on to earn her Bachelor's degree in Accounting from Virginia Commonwealth University in 1992. She was awarded her CPA credential in 1993.
While attending VCU, Dawn began working for a small CPA firm in Mechanicsville where she developed her knowledge of the tax and accounting needs of small businesses and their owners. After 15 years, Dawn founded her own solo practice in June 2006.
Dawn focuses on helping small business owners understand that by keeping accurate and up-to-date financial records, business owners have the tools to make wise choices to grow their business, minimize taxes, and maximize profit. By developing relationships with clients and working with them year-round, Dawn can help pull it all together and make it easy for them to "understand the numbers."
In November 2009, Dawn was named a Super CPA in the Small Business Consulting practice area by Virginia Business Magazine. From 1,131 nominations, 284 Super CPAs were chosen that year.